Thursday 7 January 2016

"thieves can too, motherfucker"; by Johnstone Metzger

I'm posting this here to preservate this wonderful work, as the original link on the author's old web is broken; If you're mr. Metzger and you want your game out of my blog just ask!

THIEVES CAN TOO, MOTHERFUCKER! - GET IT HERE!

What is this about?

It's a -kind of unfinished- game where the players are all thieves on the city of thieves, and they go around stealing things and playing heists. I like everything about this one; from the concept, the approach, the mechanics (On a hurry: roll 2d6 and assign one to achieve your goal -on a 1,2 you miss, on a 3 o 4 you succeed partially, on a 5,6 you succeed- and other die to avoid danger -on a 4,5 or 6 you do it, else you fail. Some traits may grant you more dice to roll). There is also a totally different sub-system for magic, (because all thieves have a little magic). The whole thing reminds me a lot about Lupin the 3rd, and Daredevil and Elektra for some reason. I've never played it yet, but I hope to do it someday.
There is a line that I liked specially, that goes somehow like this "When the heist is over, each player can say one thing that has changed forever on the city of thieves".

It's author did a remake years after, which can be found on it's blog here:
https://redboxvancouver.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/den_of_thieves_20140505.pdf

It changes the whole concept of the game, to a strange mix of rpg and boardgame played only with a french deck. Though it's very interesting and finely built, I think it might be a little overcomplicated. Maybe I'll try it or do a mix of both.

No comments:

Post a Comment